Around this time of year, we all begin hearing some of those favorite and familiar tunes particular to the season (perhaps, if you’re sick of them already, they’re a bit too familiar!). One of my favorites has this well-known line: “Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful!”
Yes—a warm fire sure is delightful…as long as it stays where it belongs!
With family home for the holidays, and many-a-cozy-evening in front of the fire, here are 9 tips for a (relatively) worry-free holiday, as you make good use of that fireplace:
- Always have modern smoke and fire detectors/alarms in your home.
- Have these units installed and maintained according to manufacturer’s instructions, replacing any smoke alarm over 10 years old.
- Make sure you replace the battery in each smoke detector as required (good to do once a month, or if unit is ‘chirping’).
- Keep fire extinguishers in your house, and make sure those in your family know how to use them in an emergency.
- Compile a list of emergency numbers, and post it where everyone in the home can find it.
- Never store flammables in your home.
- Establish an emergency escape plan, practicing it with your kids.
- Test your smoke alarms once per month.
- Contact your local fire department for further safety information.
Having done these things—though the weather may be frightful, the fire will most certainly be a delightful thing!
-The Team @ HomeKey Inspections